Welcome to Real Food for One!
I’m Shaina, a single thirty-year-old trying to transition from drive through dinners to homegrown, homemade goodness.
In my imaginary, idealized life, I own a yellow farmhouse with a wraparound porch, chickens, bees, a vegetable patch, and a miniature jersey cow named Flora. I make all my own food from scratch.
In my actual life, I share an apartment with two roommates and until recently had not a single plant to my name. I spend enough time at Chick-Fil-A and Wendy’s that I know what menu number my favorite orders are. The closest I come to ranching is herding my two cats away from each other when they’re fighting.
But being a single apartment dweller doesn’t mean I have to put my homesteading and natural living dreams on hold. Gardening, home cooking, transitioning to a healthier lifestyle, learning traditional skills – all of these changes are within reach.
This isn’t just a hobby for me. It’s a way of reclaiming my health. I’ve been dealing with a number of chronic health issues for several years now, including autoimmune thyroid problems, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, anxiety, and insomnia.
This blog is all about my journey with real food – learning how to grow it, how to prepare it, and how to use it to heal. I hope you’ll join me.
What you can expect from Real Food for One:
- Real food recipes that make no more than three servings or are freezer ready.
- Information about container gardening and apartment homesteading.
- Health tips and information about Hashimoto’s, autoimmune disorders, PCOS, real food, and more.
- Reviews of books, products, and resources that have improved my life and may improve yours.
- Monthly updates about my mental and physical health.
- Body positivity and plus size fashion